Sunday, November 11, 2012

Latino Food in Pittsburgh!

First, I love talking about food. Second, many of you know that I am new to Pittsburgh. There are a lot of things in this city that I still need to figure out, and one of them is where to get some good latino food!

Last weekend my parents were in town and we went to the strip and I was so happy to see a Mexican grocery store Reyna Foods!

Apple soda!

My mom in the isle of sweets, coffee, tea and piñatas!

Maté tea!

My dad holding up a bag of pork rines saying "I've never seen them so big before!"

Hot Tamale Activities
  • Where do you go for a good taco or latino food? (Taco Bell and Chipotle don't count!) 
  • Research online Latino Food in Pittsburgh - What stores/restaurants come up? Where are they? Which one looks like you'd try it?
  • What is yerba maté? Where do people drink it? How do they drink it? How is it similar to coffee? How is it different than coffee? Would you like to try it? Why or why not?
  • When at your neighborhood grocery store, go through the Latino isle - write down what is there and report back. More points for photos!



3 comments:

  1. I go to this Mexican stall down the street from my house. The stall is outside Las Palmas on Brookline boulevard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The closest latino food restaurant near my house Verde Mexican Kitchen and Cantina on 5491 Penn Avenue. I've never been there, but I've passed by it a lot and would like to go there in the future. Most days, except for Sundays for their brunches, they only serve dinner from 5 9, 10, or 11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite Mexican restaurants is Tres Amigos in Natrona Heights or Indiana, PA. They have amazing spinach enchiladas. Yerba Mate is a tea that's grown in central South America. It's similar to Green Tea and has a lot of health benefits like antioxidants. It's so popular in Argentina that each person drinks about 11 pounds of the tea every year. I've tried it before and it's really good. It's more bitter than green tea but the flavor is great.

    ReplyDelete