Monday, September 3, 2012

What is your labor of love?

Happy Labor Day! Labor Day is a pretty awesome privilege that we often take for granted or are ignorant about

When we think about labor, we usually think it's the same thing as work. Sometimes we tend to narrow our focus and only think about work as a job, so we can make money, so we can buy things we want. 

But what if you thought about work like Jiro thinks about making sushi?


Jiro talks about improving his technique for 70 years. After all those years, he still sees that there is room for improvement, that he can achieve more. After 70 years, he still says "I feel ecstatic" and loves making sushi all day. 

Hot Tamale Activities - comment or email a response to bordner@cityhigh.org
  • What do you think your labor of love would be? What can you see yourself doing for a long long time?
  • Watch the movie Jiro Dreams of Sushi.
    • What are some characteristics that Jiro has that you think makes him successful?
    • Compare and contrast Japanese traditions and cultures to your own traditions and culutre. 
    • Write a list of questions you would ask Jiro or other people in the film. 
    • Write a review of the film. Did you like it? Would you recommend it? Why?

I want to let you know, that teaching is a labor of love for me. I used to think traveling was my passion, but I got lonely. I love sharing about new and exciting things. I love learning and helping other people learn about different cultures. I really enjoy getting to know my students. 

1 comment:

  1. I think a labor of love of mine when the time comes will be to be a mom. That's a job that you can never give up, being someone's mom is a great responsibility that takes a lot of time and care. I think I would greatly enjoy seeing the child I raised grow up to do something amazing.

    ReplyDelete