Saturday, September 15, 2012

Extending the 5 de mayo Lesson

Every year I teach about Mexican Independence Day, and all my students say "I thought Mexican Independence Day was cinco de mayo. What's cinco de mayo about?" So this year we learned about the key players in cinco de mayo, and how President Benito Juarez was like America's Abraham Lincoln.

We only touched on the tip of the cinco de mayo iceberg, so I want to offer more meat to chew on. Answer part of all of these questions for Hot Tamale points.

Cash Money

  • All these people we learned about are famous enough to have their faces on money. What currency was Napoleon III on? General Zargosa is on what Mexican peso bill? How much is that bill worth in US dollars? What Mexican peso bill is Benito Juarez's face on? How much is that bill worth in US dollars? Which person's currency is worth the most money (US dollars) today? 
  • For 10th grade students, who else have you studied at City High that has their face on a Mexican peso bill?
Abraham Lincoln
  • Abraham Lincoln's mom died of milk disease when he was 9 years old. What is that? How can someone die from drinking milk? 
Napoleon III
  • There are so many Napoleons I can't keep them straight, can you? The text mentioned his uncle Emperor Napoleon I, what was he famous for? 
  • I thought Neapolitan ice cream got it's name from one of these guys, but I was wrong. Where does the ice cream's name originate from?
  • Create a timeline explaining who was in power in France in the 1700-1800s. How did it go from Emperor Napoleon I to King Louis Philippe to Napoleon III?
  • How do you think a president can make themselves an Emperor? Who has done that recently in Latin America?

  • Describe what kind of leader you'd like to be of a country- an emperor, dictator, president, or King/Queen. Why would you prefer that kind of leadership?








1 comment:

  1. If I would be a leader I'd want to be a queen. I love Europe and London and I think it would be cooler to be a queen than a president, or emperor. Presidents, and emperors have a huge name and it seems like so much power is under the names, with the queen it seems most or less just like a title or honor. You also get put into that role your not voted into it

    ReplyDelete